Thursday, December 1, 2016

Dear Santa: Want vs. Need





"It's like your children talking about holidays, you find they have quite a different memory of it from you. Perhaps everything is not how it is, but how it's remembered."
                                                            -Dennis Norden

Dear Santa,
This year, I would like the following presents:
1. iPod touch
2. Legos
3. American Girl Doll
4. Bigger pillows for my fort
5. Autographed Cubs baseball

P.S. I should have written them in order. Just put #5 at the top, or if I can only have one thing, I guess keep the iPod touch at #1. 

P.P.S.  I forgot to write what I would like in my stocking (not coal) but will include in a separate letter. 
                                                         
                                                                              Sincerely,
                                                                                      Any kid

Dear Santa,
This year, I really need the following presents:
1. Unconditional Love
Before I was born, you had an image of who I would become, and the life you wanted me to lead. Some of your wishes will come true, but some won't. I want your approval even though my interests, friends, attitude, academic aptitude, or athleticism are not what you expected. Please just love me. Love me for me, and in spite of me. 

2.  Patience
Patience is a virtue, and I know at times my behavior makes life really challenging. You're right, sometimes I'm just being annoying because it's a talent; however, most of my behavior is sending you a message. I'm sorry you're not quite getting it, and that we both end up frustrated.  I wish I had the words to express the complexity of what is going on inside, but I don't. 

3.  Limits
There is nothing that makes me more upset than hearing the word "NO!". I hear it at school, with my friends, at soccer, and at home. If it were up to me, I would do whatever I want, not thinking about the consequences of my actions. I know that yelling, stomping, refusing, arguing, and being downright nasty, make you want to give in. Please don't!  When I finally calm down, and you stop being mortified by my behavior, we will both be grateful. 

4.  Security
I know that sometimes you're feelings are hurt when I want to spend more time with my friends than our family.  Just so you know, it's not because I don't love you, it's just the opposite. Because I know you would do anything for me, and my needs are always met, I can take risks and explore. You've given me the confidence, wisdom, empathy, and knowledge to venture off into the world, and like a boomerang, always find my way back. 
               
                                                                                    Sincerely,
                                                                                            Every Kid

No comments:

Post a Comment